lunes, 10 de septiembre de 2007

La Paz Does Tango

This past Friday evening I had the wonderful (and kind of crazy) opportunity to play live tango music for the La Paz Tango Club. I’ve rehearsed a few times with a pianist that I met at the one and only Milonga (tango dance) that I went to during my first month here. Tango is very different from classical music, obviously, so although I had the music, it was quite different to have to “interpret” the music. We went down to Café Berlin in the Zona Sur – by 8:30pm the café had filled with 50 or so people, smoking and drinking, sitting around a nice wooden dance floor. We played two sets of 4 songs each for a surprised and very happy crowd of dancers (I think it has been a while since they had live music), including one improvisational “techno tango” song.

I’m so used to having easy access to group violining, like chamber music and orchestras in the United States, so it was so nice to be able to practice with another human being instead of locking myself in my living room and staring at music. We had only practiced 3 or so times, but after a 2 hour dress rehearsal in the cafe the music was so effortless and fulfilling. The actual playing went by very smoothly (yes, the music was a bit easy), and as I walked off of the dance floor I got a few very big applauses. We played an incredible song written by Astor Piazzola, as a memory for his dead grandfather, called “Adios Nonino” that apparently moved a few of the audience members to tears.

I suppose the highlight of the evening, and perhaps the scariest moment for me as well, was when the crowd asked for an encore – Stefan (the pianist) and I had briefly rehearsed the Czardas by Monti, which I haven’t touched for about 6 years. It’s not a very difficult piece…after you practice it for a while…but it has a series of very, very fast runs. The crowd was cheering and smiling, so I looked at Stefan, shrugged my shoulders, and began to play the music. At the beginning of the most memorable part, the whole place started clapping and stomping. My mind and fingers were basically on autopilot. I heard myself playing in to the microphone, thinking to myself “Wow, this is fast. Wow, this actually sounds pretty good.”

I still don’t have much of an idea how I managed to play the piece without practicing – I credit the success to adrenaline and relaxation. Usually when I play in front of crowds I get incredibly nervous and start shaking, but this time, because the focus of the evening was dancing, I didn’t really feel agitated or worried. I just let myself be.

Tonight is actually my last night here. I spent the day running around and doing errands, visiting the doctors at the hospital and buying a few last minute gifts (including coca tea, but don’t tell the US Government or I might get in trouble.) I have a bunch of pictures to post of Tihuanacu and Lake Titicaca, which will be coming en seguida, but I think now I am going to sit back and let the night flow…and reflect later.

17 comentarios:

RONALDO dijo...

Cool stories :D

Anónimo dijo...

Hola Nadine, me gustó mucho tu blog, y me encantó aún más que tengas tan buena actitud hacia mi país. Que bueno que aprecies nuestra cultura. A la mayoría de la gente, aún a los propios locales, les da como asco estar entre medio de los de nuestra raza. Pero bueno, gracias por escribir tan bonito sobre mi país y su gente.
Por cierto yo soy de Santa Cruz, no sé si ya la has visitado, y si no, la invitación ya está hecha.
Suerte en todo, y no dejes de registrar todo en cámara y en letras.
bye

Anónimo dijo...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Anónimo dijo...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anónimo dijo...

Hi Nadine,

I just stumbled across your blog searching for contact information of the hospital de clinicas. And I am quite fascinated by your ability to feel and describe what is happening around you. After all, that is what makes staying in a foreign country so worthwhile.

Actually, I was in Bolivia at the same time, working in the Hospital del Niño. Unfortunately we did not meet although apparently I have been at the next house for quite some weeks ...

Now I am preparing to travel again together with a friend and we would maybe like to work in the Hospital de Clinicas. So maybe if you have any valuable contacts there, it would be nice if you could tell me. Best of course, if you have telephone numbers, because Bolivians are not very good in responding to e-mails, at least according to my experience ;)

Ok, I just give you my e-mail address, so if you read this message (let us say, before january 2009), it would be nice if you could contact me.
I am writing it crypted as anti-spam measure, just remove all the dashes, and that is my address:
u--s-ul--@---gm-x.l--i

Thank you very much
Jonas

Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.
Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.
Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.
Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.
Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.
Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.
Anónimo dijo...
Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.
Anónimo dijo...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anónimo dijo...

I wish not agree on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Especially the designation attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anónimo dijo...

Nice fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anónimo dijo...

Easily I to but I dream the list inform should prepare more info then it has.

Unknown dijo...

Nadine,

I have enjoyed reading your blog. I am hoping to stay in La Paz forthe month of July (2010) I am searching for an apartment in Zona Sur reasonably priced. Any ideas on where to go for this.

Thank you

Chsher@gmail.com