lunes, 25 de junio de 2007

Push those second thoughts out of your head

This is perhaps a bit harder than I thought it would be. Last night I blew a circuit breaker in my apartment and lost the internet, causing me to effectively lose contact with my entire world. While I was stressing out about the power in my apartment (I didn't realize until this morning that the breaker is right outside my door, damn), all of my neighbors were having fiestas and getting drunk and making merry with their family and friends. I guess at that point I realized just how lonely it can be living in a foreign country all by yourself. I feel a bit lost in this city...I'm not really comfortable with anything yet.

But honestly, what was I expecting? This isn't supposed to be easy - if I had wanted that, I would have stayed in Chicago working in a lab, playing frisbee, doing everything that I'm used to and comfortable doing. I guess I sort of realized that I can't just sit around all day (not that I have been, I'm still sick with this goddamn cold) and be afraid of the world (because in reality I am) and expect to accomplish anything. So I sent out a flurry of emails hoping to start in on this volunteer business as soon as possible. As much as I enjoy gazing at the Andes from my window, it's time for something a bit different.

And speaking of gazing and mountains, here is the view from my balcony:





No hay comentarios.: