sábado, 7 de julio de 2007

"No! Es Feo!"

Since I have extensively explored the southern side of the Prado, I decided yesterday that I would explore the northern side, which includes Plaza Murillo and the older "colonial" part of the city. There's not much interesting to say, so I'll just let you gaze at the pictures...

[Plaza Murillo]








So the following photo have an interesting story: A couple of years ago the government forces and the city police had a showdown of sorts…it was described to me as being surreally similar to an old western shootout, with each faction lined up on either side of the square, shooting at each other. The holes in the side of the building are the remnants of the shots fired. Cool, eh?



[Colonial Center]






[Okay, I’m sorry, I had to take a bit of an artsy photo]





The following photos are of Calle Jaen, a spectacular street that I really should have discovered sooner. It’s really narrow, cobblestones, and all the buildings are painted different bright colors. This is also where a lot of the state museums and newer bars are located.







[Wandering out of Calle Jaen and more towards the Prado]



[San Francisco Plaza and church]





The following pictures are of the Sagarnaga area and the Witches Market, which is right up the street from the San Francisco Plaza. While it is a pretty touristy area, I have to admit that the textiles that they sell there are spectacular.



Right after taking this photo I got yelled at by one of the vendors. She asked me to see my camera, and then proceeded to shake her head and say “Que feo, que feo!”, which basically means “How horrible!”













[I snuck in a shot when she wasn’t looking…]



[Coca Museum]



No hay comentarios.: