sábado, 4 de agosto de 2007

PIctures of the Hospital

I tried my first salteña today. I’ve been meaning to try this La Paz staple for quite a while, and today I finally decided to go visit the place down the street that has vegetarian ones on weekends. Salteñas are pastry shells typically filled with meat, vegetables, and eggs in a flavorful juice/sauce. It was quite tasty - the outer pastry shell was a bit sweet, and the inside was a mix of potatoes, corn, carrots, and a few other vegetables in a spicy, curried, gravy-like sauce.

Also, I finally got over my fear of taking pictures in the Hospital de Clínicas, so now I can finally give people a glimpse of the conditions I've been working in and observing. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of any of the orphanage-style wards, the large rooms with the rows of beds. The ward that I did photo, the Pabellon Italiano where I am "stationed" right now, is the nicest area of the hospital that I've seen thus far, so base your judgments upon that.

[The Hospital Militar, where I work with the dermatologist. It’s located just up the hill from the Hospital de Clínicas.]


[Avenida Saavedra, where all of the Hospitals and Medical Institutions are located.]


[Main entrance to the Hospital de Clínicas, which is usually open and packed with people in the mornings.]






[The main area, which is a large open courtyard bordered by the buildings that hold some of the main Unidades, like Traumatologia and Patologia.]



[A new building under construction.]

[The interior of the Pabelon Italiano.]

[The Claudias’ room.]



[This rather stoic looking patient kindly let me take his picture. He was sitting in the sunlight, calmly staring out the window. Something about his demeanor was very regal, and it touched me.]




[The front of the Pabelon Italiano.]



[Patients and family catching some fresh air.]

[The Hospital del Niño.]

[The area where I used to work, which holds Dermatología, Infectologia, and Mental Health.]




[The Hospital de La Mujer, which has pregnant women and neonatal care.]




[Outside of Emergencias.]

[Miraflores, the neighborhood around the Hospitals.]




[The Puente de Las Americas, the bridge that I take every day to get to and from work.]




[View from the bridge. That’s someone’s house…]






No hay comentarios.: